Snooker Etiquette

One of the biggest things that annoys me when I go to a snooker match is the the lack of self control by some in the audience. The first being the need to get up and leave the room when play is in progress or more importantly when the player is down on the shot. Having just returned from the Crucible, I was amazed how many times this happened during the two sessions. People were openly getting up and clambering across people in the same row to either go to the toilet or the bar. Either these people don’t know the golden rules of watching snooker or they don’t care. They make so much noise and only seem to be interested in achieving their goal

I have been attending snooker tournaments for several years now and have recently expanded my travels to places like Cardiff, Berlin and most recently Sheffield. Snooker organisers rarely change the set of the stage and always reinforce house rules before any match starts. The most important rule is to turn your mobile phone off or have it at least on silent. Unfortunately wherever you go, one person always seems to have selective hearing and a groovy ringtone resonates through the auditorium as the match is happening. Why have a red a face when you are scolded by a referee when all you you have to do is to flick a switch?

Another error is the camera click or flash. This is usually by an over enthusiastic fan trying to to get a close up of their favourite player to post on social media but occasionally the press by the table make a classic error and take a picture when a player is taking their shot. Ronnie O’Sullivan has had soars with such over zealous camera crew and even requested for them to be removed when they have rattled his concentration.

What about the rustling sweet paper? When I was at the Crucible on Thursday for the Seniors, a teenager not far from me decided to accept a conveyor belt of sweets from his mother during the match and guess what?, they were all in sweet papers. The boy was not just content with removing the sweet but also wanted to rustle the papers in his hand after he had finished them. The noise was appalling and he didn’t even take the subtle hint when I glared at him in disgust!

Most frustrating is the serial cougher. He or she is always there and seem to have a waiting room coughing fit when the snooker is happening.After one cough, there seems to be to be an Influenza epidemic in the room and coughs left, right and centre echo throughout the seating area. One day I will go and this person may not be there but I won’t hold my breath but will certainly keep my cough away from snooker if it happens!

Finally there is always always a serial heckler at a match. I don’t appreciate the name “Ronnie “ being shouted down my ear hole when I watch a snooker match. At the Crucible, I had someone whispering “Come on Barry” (Pinches) behind me and this was even worse than someone shouting it out. Not only did he do this but he was calling his Mum between frames, having a crying session that he was scared his chosen player wouldn’t win. If he wanted to wind me up, he certainly did and some more. I started whispering as well, asking him to “shut up!!”. By all means support your player but please keep it to yourself.

I may sound like Victor Meldrew whilst you read this blog but all my gripes could easily be avoided and make watching snooker more enjoyable. Tension and suspense are naturally created when snooker is played and should be savoured and not abused. I am saying these things because I am am passionate about the sport and want etiquette to reign but will it? I doubt, despite all my procrastinations that little will change but at leat I have got these annoying factors off my chest as a result of writing this blog.
https://youtu.be/Zr-pah4k6IQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which way, left or right?

Place your bets

The Beckham of the Baize