A Day to Remember

Having never traveled past Wales, my excitement for going to Sheffield began when my I left home. The joy of  being able to experience the atmosphere of the Crucible Theatre is something I can’t describe but to an avid snooker fan, this probably matches the joy of Christmas Day. Arriving in Sheffield I took a taxi to Kenwood Hall, long established as the residence of snooker players when taking part at the Crucible. After checking into my room, which had a four poster bed and a panoramic view. I then decided to explore the grounds that had a lake and an indoor swimming pool.

Returning to the foyer, I passed Dennis Taylor and said hello before going out of the front of the hotel, where I witnessed Stephen Hendry, Cliff Thorburn, Joe Johnson and Barry Pinches, jumping into a taxi with their cues. I poked my head in and said. a quick “hello to my friend Joe Johnson before the taxi drove off to the short trip down the hill to the Crucible.

Having spruced myself up, I made my way to the theatre of dreams, the Crucible.and stood outside for a couple of minutes in awe as I at last witnessed the greatest snooker venue there has ever been. Walking in and soaking up the buzz of foyer, you could see that fans young and old wanted a glimpse of past heroes. With a Guinness in my hand and after a quick chat with Kevin Kelly, Jimmy White ‘s manager, I entered the theatre with a smile on my face and butterflies in my stomach.

So the competition started and after a slow start from Thorburn, Hendry managed to stop Cliff grinding and shake him off with a win. Ken Doherty then became victim to an in form Barry Pinches who outplayed Ken and produced steady and solid snooker. The highlight of afternoon play came when when Jimmy White drew Joe Johnson, a draw that has never happened between these two at the Crucible. Jimmy was in a cocky mood and thought with two previous wins, he had this match sewn up but Joe was having none of it and managed to capture the first frame and like a sparring match, Jimmy fought back with second. So it all rested on a  res-potted black. Jimmy was rattled and glared at  an audience member when their mobile phone rang. Perhaps this cost him the match but Joe picked up on Jimmy’s emotions and sunk the crucial black.

With afternoon’s play over, I wandered around Sheffield, stopping for a bite to eat and a cheeky pint of Guinness before strolling back to the Crucible Theatre. Before play and the first match went live on television, John Virgo cracked a few jokes and warmed the audience up. Evening’s play shortly followed with a first match between Stephen Hendry and Barry Pinches. Hendry had his chances to win the match but always fell short on the crucial ball, allowing Barry to literally pinch the match!

With one finalist decided, it was left for Aaron Canavan,former winner and replacement for John Parrott, who sadly fell ill just before the competition, to prove that he match the experienced Joe Johnson. Joe, however, proved too much for the Jersey resident and his ship was quickly sailed. So this set the stage up for a mouthwatering clash between Johnson and Pinches. This was a rematch when a past Johnson win 5-4, had occurred despite Pinches scoring three centuries and a 147 in the match!

The final came down again to a re-spotted black with both players tied at one frame each. The play seemed to go on for ages and everyone was on the edge of their seats, getting to experience atmosphere, tension and nervous adrenaline all in one. With several clear pots of the black missed by both players, Joe finally potted the crucial black and lifted the trophy with tears in his eyes and his wife at his side.

As the clock struck eleven, I made my way back to my hotel room. The final black had put me as a Joe Johnson fan and friend, through the wringer, a mangle and a boil wash but my nerves survived the tale and I got to experience my dear friend raise a prestigious Seniors title at the Crucible. Not many can that and it will be a memory that will remain in my thoughts for many years to come. Life can’t better and snooker clear does!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which way, left or right?

Place your bets

The Beckham of the Baize