A Q&A with Ken Doherty

Ken Doherty is one of the most recognised and successful faces in Irish snooker. Starting off as a programme seller at Goffs as a teenager, Ken went on to win the World Championship in 1997. Still on the main tour as a two year wildcard, Ken also commentates for the BBC, plays on the World Seniors tour and has his own radio programme in Ireland.


Who inspired you to become a snooker player?

Alex Higgins

Were your family interested in snooker?

I used to watch it with my father from the age of 8, Pot Black and the World Championship.

What most excites you about the sport?

Playing in front of big crowds.

Do you still get a buzz when you play?

Yeah I still get a buzz but not as much as I once did.

Does the traveling ever get to you?

I don’t like the travelling as I once did either and being away from my young son who’s just 11 now.

Tell me your memories of Alex Higgins?

I first met Alex when I was 14, working in Goffs as an usher, his first inspiration words to me were, “if I ask you for an orange juice that means a vodka and orange juice, if I ask you for a vodka and orange juice that means a double.”

Who is your favourite player of all time?

Alex of course.

What other sports do you like?

Love football, golf, tennis, horse racing and rugby.

If you could turn back time and you could play any player that you have never played, who would it be?

Loved to have played Joe Davis and Ray Reardon.

What is your highest ever break?

147 about 300 times.

Could you ever imagine your life without snooker?

I couldn’t, it’s given me so much in life.

What is your most embarrassing moment?

Once I was asked for the bill in a restaurant as I had my waistcoat on after just finishing a match.

Thanks to Ken was taking time to talk to me and a valued insight into his life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which way, left or right?

Place your bets

The Beckham of the Baize