UK Championship, 2017

As Christmas approaches, who will seize one of the jewels in the snooker crown this week in York ?

It seems an age ago when Patsy Fagan beat Doug Mountjoy in Blackpool to win the first UK Championship 12-9 in 1977. 

Much has changed since then, pockets have got smaller, the cloth has got thinner and general play has changed, swapping safety shots for attacking shots and early clearances and smoking and drinking replaced by the odd sip of water.

Unlike the early days of snooker, when matches were played in small venues and players sat on the stairs between shots, now venues are large such the German Open in the Tempadrom in Berlin or the Masters at Alexandra Palace. Demand is growing and often extra seats have to be installed to cope with large ticket sales.

No longer is the sport exclusively for men. The ladies game has boomed in recent years, building on pioneers of the game such as Alison Fisher, Reanne Evans has dominated the game and has even competed in qualifiers for all the major tournaments.

On current form the clear contenders for the silverware are Higgins, Selby, Murphy,Trump and Robertson. O'Sullivan could shine but doubts have surfaced this season with his lack of tournament play and mistakes creeping into his game.
I asked several players and commentators on their thoughts of this early snooker Christmas present:

Shaun Murphy:

"I always look forward to the UK Championship as its the start of "Major" season for us on tour. The UK, Masters and World Championship  are our Triple Crown events and the ones we all really want to win. 
I won the UK title back in 2008 and have been to the final again since, losing to my friend Mark Selby a few years back. It's a great event with an even greater history and I'm looking forward to being a part of it again this year. It hasn't been a great event for me in recent years but I've been working very hard on my game and know that good things are round the corner, so hopefully they'll turn around for me in York this year".

Rolf Kalb:

"I'm sure everybody is looking forward to York. The UK Championship always brings out the best from all players, especially for the top guys. Cracking days are ahead of us."

Ken Doherty:

"Great tournament in a great city, can't wait for it."


Joe Johnson:

" I have been very fortunate in my snooker career since first turning professional in 1979 until my retirement in 2004 to have played many of the greats in the U.K. Championship including my failed maximum against Jimmy White. This truly is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the snooker calendar and I can't wait to commentate for Eurosport UK on this pre Christmas cracker".

Willie Thorne:
"Going to be very difficult to predict a winner this year with so many people playing well a little worried that John Higgins will face burnout it's so hard to keep playing the standard he is producing for a month but he would defiantly be my favourite if he wasn't playing in Ireland this week my choice would be Ronnie but trump is due another tournament."


After an early exit from the Irish Open could another surprise contender be Shaun Murphy or the English Open winner Liang Wenbo or how could we could forget   Mark Allen, Ding Jing Hui or even Kyren Wilson ? Like a box of chocolates, we are spoilt for choice but beyond the layers lies a snooker titan who will prevail next Sunday. Only time will tell but my tip from the snooker gods is only time will tell!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which way, left or right?

Place your bets

The Beckham of the Baize